She looked up from her Kindle and glanced at the TV.
– Don’t bother, his wife said. I know what you’re thinking.
– About what? he said.
– I wish you wouldn’t do that.
– Do what?
– You only do it to annoy me.
– What are you talking about?
– I hate it when you do that.
– Pretend what?
– Oh, this is just typical of you at the moment. It’s pathetic.
– What is this all about?
– Go back to your bloody iPad. You know what it’s about.
– No. I don’t – really.
– Then you’re more stupid than I thought you were.
– For Christ’s sake woman, you’re just trying to be awkward.
– Don’t woman me. And don’t you dare say it’s my hormones.
– I haven’t mentioned your fucking hormones.
– We just never communicate about anything important any more.
– Well, what do you want to talk about, for fuck sake?
– Look, if you’ve got to ask, there’s no point. And stop swearing. I hate that.
– No. Come on. Let’s talk about whatever the fuck it is you want to talk about. Come on.
– Don’t bother, his wife said. There’s no point. I know what you’re thinking.
© Gerry Webber 2013